With the COVID-19 virus (“coronavirus”) present within Saskatchewan communities, it is imperative we all work together to protect one another, including those who continue to provide us with essential services. Loraas has developed safe waste disposal guidelines for residents and businesses within Central and Northern Saskatchewan that began March 23, 2020 until further notice.
We wish to emphasize that these guidelines are being put in place as a precautionary measure to protect the health and safety of our team who handle thousands of receptacles a week and physically sort recycling daily. Proper disposal of potentially contaminated items is also a good safeguard to have in place to protect the general public.
Here are seven guidelines for residents and businesses to follow for safe waste disposal during the global COVID-19 pandemic:
- If you or anyone in your household is sick, please place ANY item that has come into contact with your mouth, nose, eyes, or hands in a bag and into the garbage – even items that you normally place into your blue cart/bin (i.e. water/beverage bottles, yogurt containers, milk/juice cartons, etc.)
- Bag all garbage securely and place it into your black/waste cart.
- Used tissues and disposable cleaning products (i.e. wipes), should be placed into a bag then into your black/garbage cart only.
- Ensure accessible cart placement with 4ft between carts or obstacles to avoid manual handling by our collectors; as illustrated below.
- Recyclable items should be placed loosely into your blue/recycling cart; excluding potentially contaminated recyclables mentioned above. Ensure recyclables are clean and not food-soiled.
- Cart lids must be fully closed to prevent windblown items. Items placed outside of the carts will not be collected.
- Cleaning products and aerosols with warning labels should not be placed into your recycling cart. Please hold onto these items and use a Household Hazard Collection Day program if available in your community.
For excess garbage, recycling, or organic waste, The Loraas Landfill just north of Saskatoon, SK will remain open to the public. In addition, Loraas Recycle’s public recycling depot in Saskatoon is available 24/7. For details and hours, click here. Loraas’ offices will be closed to the public, but our representatives are still able to assist you. Please call (306) 242-2300 for questions or concerns.
From your friends at Loraas, please take care of one another and stay safe!
City of Kingston, 2020. COVID-19. Accessed at: https://www.cityofkingston.ca/resident/covid-19. Accessed on: 20 March 2020.
City of Saskatoon, 2019. Accessed at: https://www.saskatoon.ca/services-residents/waste-recycling/cart-placement. Accessed on: 24 March 2020.